3 months ago
Aspen School District seeks a School Bus and District Vehicle Mechanic Apprentice to begin duties immediately. Applications will be reviewed as received with the intent of conducting interviews as soon as possible.
Employee housing may be available. Excellent benefit package including health, vision, dental and life. Sick, personal and vacation days and wellness benefits are offered with this position. Training will be provided. Salary negotiable based on experience.
Reports to: Director of Transportation
Terms of employment: 12-month classified, Non-exempt, At Will employee.
Work Schedule: As per individual assignment in keeping with assigned 12 month work calendar.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years working as a mechanic, preferably some experience with school bus mechanics
Position Summary: The purpose of this position is to maintain and repair the district school buses and motor equipment to provide safe and reliable transportation and grounds/snow removal equipment. The school bus mechanic must also serve as a substitute bus driver.
* Diagnose, repair, and maintain school district vehicles, including buses, small vehicles, trucks, tractors, and plows
* Operate a school bus as a substitute driver in a safe and lawful manner during varying weather, road, and traffic conditions on assigned route
* Perform other related duties as assigned or requested
Skill and other Requirements:
* Ability to pass physical exam and random drug testing requirement per rules and regulations of the Colorado Dept. of Education and Federal regulations for operators of school transportation vehicles;
* Due to the safety related requirements of this work, applicants must have excellent command of English, both orally and in writing;
* Diagnoses malfunctions and performs vehicle repairs (e.g. adjust/test steering, electrical, cooling/air conditioning, lubricating, braking systems, drive trains, suspensions, power steering units, clutches, transmissions and oil, temperature, gas regulating components, adjust/test/rebuild engines, etc.) and related assigned duties within qualification level, in accordance with all relevant Federal, State and local guidelines and requirements;
* Test-drives vehicles to ensure repair resolved the problem;.
* Maintains a safe, clean, productive and efficient work area including ensuring work area is in compliance with all relevant Federal, State/Provincial and local guidelines and requirements;
* Identifies and reports any additional maintenance and/or repairs found necessary in conducting assigned repairs and maintenance including repairs and maintenance required to be performed by Technicians with a higher qualification level;
* Records time spent, parts used and repairs and/or maintenance conducted on appropriate form(s);
* Advises Director of Transportation of unsafe maintenance conditions or practices and/or vehicle abuse;
* Performs road calls and on the road repairs as assigned;
* Maintains current CDL license;
* Maintains current CPR/First Aid certification
* Manage oneself (is organized, prepared, and punctual; manages resources; meets deadlines; follows through on commitments; demonstrates appropriate physical appearance relative to job and environmental expectations) in a manner that enhances the image of public education;
* Develop and maintain rapport and effective relationships with children and adults contacted in the course of work by using courtesy, diplomacy, collaboration, cooperation, support, and professional conduct;
* Demonstrate professionalism , handling disagreements and conflicts in a diplomatic manner, and contributing to a positive work/learning environment;
* Demonstrate flexibility with regard to interruptions and changing conditions;
* Work efficiently to complete tasks with limited supervision and to meet deadlines;
* Observe all Aspen School District policies and procedures;
Essential Environmental Demands:
Employees must exercise caution and comply with safety regulations and district procedures when involved in the following situations:
* Balancing, bending, climbing, crouching, kneeling, reaching, and/or standing,
* Exposure to adverse weather conditions and temperature extremes,
* Exposure to air-borne particulates, chemical irritants, combustible materials, electrical hazards,equipment vibrations, noises, and odors,
* Exposure to wet and/or slippery surfaces,
* Exposure to blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases,
* Interactions with aggressive, disruptive, and/or uncooperative individuals,
* Lifting, carrying, and moving work-related supplies/equipment,
* Operating and/or riding in a vehicle,
* Performing tasks that require strenuous physical exertion,
* Traveling to meetings and work assignments,
* Working at various heights, in confined spaces, and/or in variable/diminished lighting, and
* Working in proximity to moving mechanical parts.
Essential Physical Requirements:
* Frequent lifting of up to 50 pounds, standing, sitting, walking, bending, squatting, reaching, climbing, kneeling, crouching, and stooping.
* Occasional lifting of over 50 pounds and use of appropriate lift assistance equipment.
Job performance is evaluated according to policy provisions adopted by the administration of the Aspen School District.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
10 days ago
only 18 days until close
10 days ago
only 18 days until close