DATE: November 23, 2016
JOB TITLE: Transformer Design Engineer
REPORTS TO: Director of Engineering
The position will be responsible for designing distribution and power transformers. This includes the evaluation of customer specification, evaluation of core and coils assembly to be re-manufactured and complete re-design of transformer coils. The position is responsible for winding specifications for winders, design schematics for assembly, winding bill of materials, performance data for testing, and approval of final test results. The position will learn, understand, and be able to perform transformer design on distribution transformers with layer wound type of windings. The position will work to develop and maintain design programs to aid in the design of transformers as needed. The position will provide training on transformer design for engineers in the engineering staff. The position will provide customer and technical support to internal and external customer of the engineering department.
- Degree not required, but preferred
- Possesses communication skills sufficient to work effectively on complex and advanced technical issues and relate this information to both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze problems and make independent judgments to initiate corrective action or resolution within deadlines.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word software packages.
- Satisfactory current performance and work history.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze existing transformer designs and customer specifications to redesign a transformer in our remanufacturing process.
- Must possess sufficient knowledge of transformer design principles to be able to design transformers with circular layer, rectangular layer, inverter, rectifier, harmonic, and special furnace applications.
- Must possess skill to analyze complex design as part of reverse engineering process to re-design back to customer specifications.
- Must possess sufficient knowledge to design power transformers with continuous disk and helical type of windings with or without LTC's which would include regulating winding and preventive auto designs.
- Must possess sufficient knowledge to design high voltage medium power transformer up to 138 KV and 650 KV BIL and KVA sizes up to 30 MVA.
- Must possess sufficient knowledge to design electrical connections and produce wiring schematic to production areas and for external customers.
- Must be proficient in provide technical support to internal and external customers and provide solutions.
- Must have 3-5 years of transformer design experience with distribution and power transformers up to 69 KV.
- Design of substation and distribution transformers.
- Develop winding specifications for winders.
- Develop assembly schematics for core and coil setup.
- Provide bill of materials for winding materials.
- Evaluation customer specifications for design of transformers.
- Provide technical support to internal and external customer of engineering.
PPE, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & ENVIRONMENT:
- Requires exposure to moving parts, oscillating movements, noise, and design equipment.
- Requires physical stamina to work extended work hours due to increase in demand and ability to work in an office/computer environment.
This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and qualifications associated with the job. An individual must be able to perform all of the duties and responsibilities listed in a fully competent manner to be considered successful in the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties and responsibilities.
___I am able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodations. I understand that I am to request an accommodation for consideration in writing to HR.
Employee: _________________________________________ Date: ________________
Supervisor: __________________________________________ Date: ________________