Are you a Software Engineer or a Middleware Engineer? Do you understand the principles of the design, development, maintenance, testing, and evaluation of software and the infrastructure systems that maintain and host the software? Do you have an understanding of development tools and databases and how they interact with software, applications and the infrastructure? Are you an all-around do-it all that loves to learn, troubleshoot and share your knowledge and understanding?
The Software Engineer will be supporting/enabling technologies used by the application development teams while working with the Software Administration team. You will provide technical support and proactive planning for our client's range of development tools. This position combines highly complex technical skills with strong problem solving, communication, and management skills to address critical problems that frequently require the development of unique and creative solutions. You will also work closely with the intersecting organizations of the Corporation to ensure resolutions are expedited and to proactively revise procedures to improve overall customer satisfaction.
If you enjoy getting involved while learning new applications and sharing your knowledge we have a team of Software Administrators that need your support, guidance and knowledge.
If you fit this description and are looking for a challenging and rewarding position, we would love to hear from you to discuss this rare opportunity.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- "Highly" desired experience with a variety of enterprise tools such as extract transfer load (ETL) tools, business intelligence (BI) tools, GeoSpatial tools, and statistical analysis tools
- 5 + years of experience with one or more operating systems and relational databases including Linux, Windows 2008 and 2012 Servers, Oracle, and SQL Server
- Experience with Sun Solaris, Linux, WebLogic, Tomcat, Java and Active Directory
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills while managing critical and complex issues in high-pressure environments
- Willingness and desire to learn new tools
- Willingness and desire to share knowledge
- Utilization of diagnostic utilities
- Strong client facing communication skills. Ability to present product reviews, project plans and provide guidance and recommendations
- Ability to develop support plans that recognize the customer's priorities, challenges, initiatives, and potential areas for improvement
- Ability to use independent judgment and technical expertise to identify, document, and report issues with design, reliability, and maintenance
- Ability to develop an architectural understanding of the customer's operational and storage environment
- Understanding a multi-tiered application and network models
- Knowledge and understanding of the SDLC
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Project
- Desired experience using Microsoft's Team Foundation Server (TFS)
- Strong knowledge of Citrix
Critical Hiring Criteria:
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Possesses strong product/technology/industry knowledge
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment, with tight deadlines
- Troubleshooting skills, with the ability to explain in plain language
- Collaborative, flexible and adaptable team-player
Nice to Have:
- ITIL certified
- Agile, Scrum methodologies
- Experience with cloud technologies
Headquartered in Leesburg, Virginia, Custom Software Systems, Inc. (CSS) is a Woman-Owned (WOSB) and HUBZone certified small business. Built on a foundation of trusted client partnerships, CSS has fostered a stakeholder-centric yet disciplined approach to IT solutions development. This ensures our ability to consistently meet or exceed our customers' expectations.
CSS is a very employee oriented company knowing that well trained, professional associates are what make our company great. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes: paid holidays and paid time off; medical insurance that includes vision; dental insurance; company paid long and short-term disability and life insurance; a Simple IRA plan (similar to 401k); parking and commuter reimbursement. We also work with our employees on training and professional certification plans that benefit the employee, the client and CSS - a win-win-win strategy.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
CSS provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. CSS complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
CSS expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of CSS employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.