3 months ago
Multiple positions. Various Schedules.
A Service Mechanic is a position in the Facilities Operations department providing high quality and effective work in the maintenance and repair of Columbia University - Manhattanville Campus (CUMVC) equipment, services, and systems. A Service Mechanic will be cross-assigned between the District Energy System (DES) and the campus operations depending on the need and situation. Independently or under limited/minimal supervision and/or direction; operate, inspect/round, maintain, and repair equipment and machinery in good workmanlike manner while maintaining a high level of safety, reliability, efficiency, and cost effectiveness. Minimum Qualifications for Grade
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an applicant -HS diploma or GED
* Must demonstrate minimum Professional proficiency in the English Language; as defined by the U.S. Department of State.
* Two (2) years internal experience as a Maintenance Worker Level 2; or external equivalent of two (2) years of experience as an HVAC or refrigeration mechanic.
* Must be a quick learner and exhibit self-motivational skills.
* Adequate ability to discern colors for monitoring alarm conditions.
* Strong team mentality (ability to work with others).
* Well-refined interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, customers, clients, students, vendors, and management.
* How to read and interpret SDS information.
* Understanding of general vivarium, and laboratory rules and restrictions.
* How to identify a fire rated barrier and properly install fire-stopping materials.
* Must be able to work all shifts as assigned.
* Basic fundamentals of maintenance and repair of building systems.
* How to properly use, install, and inspect fire stopping materials.
* Knowledgeable on how to safely operate and interpret a volt ohm meter, and troubleshoot basic
* How to properly utilize lock out-tag out procedures for all energy sources (electrical, thermal, hydraulic,
* How to operate and interpret airflow instruments, including but not limited to capture hoods, manometers, and anemometers. Additional Position-Specific Minimum Qualifications
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an applicant -How to properly and safely operate all hand tools, power tools, equipment utilized by facilities maintenance and repair.
* Responsible for obtaining and maintaining other applicable NYC Certificates of Fitness as required by
the FDNY and/or other authorities having jurisdiction.
* Hold and maintain PBS (Petroleum Bulk Storage) Class B Operator
* Must be capable of performing fire brigade duties as assigned.
Knowledge of and/or Training on the following: -General OSHA standards and requirements.
* Use of portable fire extinguisher.
* Hazardous waste awareness.
* Asbestos hazards and safety.
* Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (work order management system)
* Confined space entry procedures.
* Lock-out/Tag-out procedures.
* Description and use of fire stopping materials.
* Communication etiquette including phone, radio, and customer service.
* Hot work permits.
* Must demonstrate knowledge of all CUMVC's safety policies and procedures.
* Must demonstrate applicable institutional knowledge and practices of the facility and its operations.
Duties and requirements from Maintenance Worker Level 2 position still apply and must be maintained
and current, as well as the knowledge applied to any future buildings coming online.
Physical Requirements & Environmental Conditions
The physical and environmental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all-inclusive.
* Use strength to lift and transport items needed to perform the functions of the job, with the ability to lift 50
pounds independently and support team lift with reasonable accommodations.
* Sit, stand, bend, kneel, crouch, and squat for prolonged periods of time and/or repeatedly over a required
period of time.
* Reach with and work with hands and arms overhead.
* May work in an environment where a variety of pathogens, chemical substances, and gases are used for
* Ability to work while wearing a fullface respirator. Special Instructions Preferred Qualifications -Preferred: Hold and maintain an active Motor Vehicle Class D License.
* Hold and maintain Certificate of Fitness for Fire Guard (F-60)
* Hold and maintain Certificate of Fitness for Using Powder Activated Tools (E-21)
* Hold and maintain Certificate of Fitness for Torch Operations (G-60)
* Hold and maintain Certificate of Fitness To Operate and Maintain Air Compressors (A-35)
* Hold and maintain Certificate of Fitness for City Wide Sprinkler Systems (S-12)
* Hold and maintain Certificate of Fitness for City Wide Standpipe Systems (S-13)
* Hold and maintain Certificate of Fitness for Standpipe for Multi-Zone Systems (S-14)
* Hold and maintain Certificate of Fitness for Supervision of Bulk Oil Plants (P-12)
* Hold and maintain Certificate of Fitness for Supervise Fuel-Oil Piping and Storage in Buildings (P-98)
* Hold and maintain OSHA 10 Certification
* Hold and maintain EPA 608 Type I Technician Certification (unitary system
* Hold and maintain a NATE Core certification or equivalent certification accepted by CUMVC Management Essential Functions -Respond to various calls throughout the CUMVC relating to the Plant, HVAC, refrigeration, and mechanical
* Work alongside and assist other personnel, including licensed personnel, in completing assigned maintenance and work orders.
* Maintain, repair and operate system equipment, auxiliary systems and utilize computer monitoring systems
while working independently or under limited supervision and direction and in accordance with sound engineering practices.
* Basic troubleshooting of HVAC, refrigeration, and mechanical equipment and their associated systems.
* Perform preventive maintenance tasks and servicing of plant, HVAC, refrigeration, and mechanical equipment and their associated systems including hydraulic and hydronic systems.
* Perform preventative maintenance on steam plant and chiller plant equipment and facilities.
* Work in conjunction with other trades on preventative maintenance and servicing of equipment and systems.
* Provide guidance, direction, and on the job training to all junior personnel in the proper procedures of
operations, repair, and maintenance.
* Replace and align motors, fans, pumps and bearings.
* Replace various types of plant, HVAC, refrigeration, and mechanical valves and piping, and pack valves including but not limited to steam valves, motorized valves, and pressure regulating valves.
* Troubleshoot, repair, service, and install/replace dampers and actuators in a timely fashion.
* Maintain and repair heat exchangers. Additional Essential Functions (Limit to 3950 characters.) -Perform basic sheet metal repairs.
* Perform basic rigging.
* Utilize, navigate, and interpret building management systems (BMS).
* Process hot work permits and perform necessary fire watch procedures and inspections.
* Process paperwork including but not limited to work orders, inventory, and preventive maintenance forms.
* Perform work tasks, report deficiencies, and maintain and complete daily records of labor and materials used during work tasks via the CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System).
* Maintain completeness, timeliness, and accuracy of the work and work orders.
* Continually and urgently communicate with supervisor regarding any apparent operational deficiencies or system malfunctions.
* Work with other disciplines and management to proactively solve complex, multi-discipline problems.
* Must perform any duties assigned in an emergency as determined by management.
* Attend and participate in all departmental trainings and meetings.
* Attend and complete relevant on-the job training as required.
* Ability to perform all tasks and duties related to the Maintenance Worker Level 2 position if required.
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar,
related or a logical assignment to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified but rather a description of the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification.
* Monitor and record temperature, pressure, and other sensor readings for historical and troubleshooting
* Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair refrigeration equipment including condensing units up to 5 tons.
* Read and interpret block diagram blueprints and ladder diagram electrical schematics.
* Align, replace, and repair motors, bearings, couplings, sheaves, and pumps.
* Assemble structural and functional components with the use of bolts, screws, and rivets.
* Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair hermetic, semi-hermetic, reciprocating, and scroll chillers under..... click apply for full job details
14 days ago
only 14 days until close
12 days ago
only 16 days until close