Under limited supervision, integrates computer and network systems into the university network, which encompasses all campuses and worldwide INTERNET access. Provides complex, high-level technical support for computer and network systems, and carries out novel and/or complex assignments requiring the development of new and/or improved techniques and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Formulates, develops, and implements integrated network architectures for medium-to-large computer systems.
2. Analyzes and determines budget requirements, current computer and network systems technology, and available vendor offerings to establish optimum computer and network architecture solutions; plans future enhancements and directions for the university-wide computer network.
3. Develops standards for computer and network systems, to include standards for wiring, equipment, system security, and routing protocol.
4. Provides project management of technical staff in the implementation, installation, configuration, and technical support of computer and network architecture; coordinates projects with other university departments and external organizations and agencies.
5. Provides planning, leadership, direction, and advanced technical expertise regarding computer and network services for both local and wide area networks, and the worldwide INTERNET; serves as high-level technical expert in regards to computer/network systems and associated issues.
6. Serves as primary point of contact and liaison with vendors; reviews vendor products, and coordinates and facilitates vendor interviews and presentations.
7. Negotiates exact technical requirements with vendors; establishes contracts, and writes technical contract specifications and proposals.
8. Designs, develops, and delivers training classes and workshops in areas of computer and network systems.
9. Installs, configures, and maintains computer and network operating system and application software, as appropriate; provides on-call support for computer/network systems as required.
10. Maintains a broad knowledge of current and emerging state-of-the-art computer/network systems technologies, architectures, and products.
11. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
. Bachelor's degree; at least 4 years of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified OR successful completion of at least 60 college-level credit hours; at least 6 years of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
. Knowledge of contract documents and specifications.
. Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of expertise.
. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
. Ability to install, configure, and maintain personal computers, networks, and/or related hardware and software.
. Advanced knowledge and understanding of a range of computer and networking software and hardware systems and related technologies.
. Ability to analyze and assess computer/network architecture requirements and determine optimum, cost-effective solutions.
. Computer/network systems planning skills.
. Knowledge of computer/network systems infrastructure requirements and standards.
. Knowledge of computer security systems, applications, procedures, and techniques.
. Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects.
. Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
. Ability to develop and present educational programs and/or workshops.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
. No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
. No or very limited physical effort required.
. Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.