Mechanic III will diagnose vehicle malfunctions, perform preventive maintenance and repair and overhaul various types of transit and support vehicles, either in the field or at the Operations garage. Mechanic III duties also include the diagnosis and major component overhaul of Brakes, Suspension, Engine and PMIs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintain proficiency in the diagnosis and repair of all HRT vehicles
- Ensure accurate diagnosis and the effective repair and/or replacement of components necessary for the proper functioning of assigned equipment using advanced diagnostic equipment.
- Effectively and efficiently performs preventive maintenance inspections.
- Ensure the timely and effective repair of any problems identified in the course of maintenance activities
- Maintains and demonstrates a high level of proficiency in:
-Repairing and inspecting engine oil/cooling systems and wheelchair lifts.
-Repairing and adjusting all components of steering and suspension systems.
-Repairing and overhauling brake systems
-Road testing vehicles to ensure safety and quality of work performed.
-Use of Maintenance documentation and online services.
- Adheres to the highest quality standards and meets or exceeds the original equipment manufacturers' requirements in the performance of all job responsibilities
- Advise supervisor immediately if additional work is needed, if work outlined is not needed, or if repairs cannot be completed within the promised time frame.
- Operate fork lift.
- Perform other maintenance duties or assignments as requested
- Ability to utilize Windows and other computer programs such as Adobe Reader
- Interact effectively, courteously, and professionally with operations department employees and other HRT employees regarding vehicle repairs and other shop business.
- Assume primary responsibility of assigned projects.
- Complete all required written and/or automated work orders and other documentation as required.
- Report equipment abuse or component tampering to the shop supervisor.
- Provide assistance, guidance, training, and direction to other shop personnel as needed.
- Be involved in the daily operation of the shop and be able to fill in during the absence of the supervisor.
- Possess the ability to interpret maintenance manuals, wiring diagrams and other documents and to safely operate all company equipment.
- Maintain a clean, safe work area in compliance with HRT/OSHA standards.
- Responsible for the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Safely uses all power and hand held mechanic tools
- Maintain awareness and compliance with all current HRT, local, state, and federal regulations, such as regulations governing the handling and disposal of hazardous waste and use of personal protection equipment.
HRT Environmental Management System (EMS):
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT's EMS
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT's Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
Training and/or Education:
High school diploma/GED required. Trade school preferred.
Must have two (2) years heavy duty shop experience within the past five (5) years. Must have proficiency in the diagnosis and repair of all HRT vehicles and be able to read/comprehend written and electronic service information.
Licenses or Certificates:
- Must have CDL Class B license and/or must have CDL Permit and the ability to acquire within sixty (60) days of employment a valid Virginia CDL Class B license with air brake and passenger endorsements.
- Must obtain ASE Certification in H8 or T8 within 90 working days of hire to be retained in the position.
- Ability to pass DOT physical examination.
- Must meet ongoing educational, training and DOT requirements to retain employment in this position.
Must be able to lift 50 lbs as well as capable of prolonged periods of standing, walking, squatting, twisting and reaching. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to work in all weather conditions and on all work shifts including weekends and holidays.
Hampton Roads Transit is a 24/7/365 operation. Incumbents in the position will be required to work variable shifts as assigned. Duties may require overtime to meet service demands. Overtime is mandatory for this position. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.