3 months ago
The Desktop Systems Engineer is responsible for the planning and
implementation of the Microsoft Windows desktop platform. This
includes managing the ongoing desktop life cycle of imaging systems,
packaging and upgrading applications, patching systems, securing
desktops and applications, and collaborating in the implementation of
enterprise applications with Applications Engineers and other
* Participate in the evaluation and definition of user experience
(UX), specifying standards for how applications and desktops should
perform, anticipating user interaction with upgrades and patch
management, optimizing user interfaces and ensuring intuitive, elegant
system design and optimal supportability.
* Evaluate all aspects of user desktop environment and assist in the
creation of image content standards. Define content of standard
images, including consideration of Windows features, evaluation of
core and secondary applications and interactions there between.
* Evaluate and define processes for deploying and maintaining
standard desktop images, including the use of "fat client"
imaging, packaging and deployment technologies (***., SCCM) as well as
virtual or "thin client" technologies such as VDI, Citrix XenApp
and application virtualization.
* Collaborate closely with Citrix Engineers in monitoring the Citrix
environment and optimizing system performance, understanding that the
Citrix platform must provide equivalent performance and matching user
experience to the "fat client" desktops in the firm.
* Define procedures for imaging desktop and laptop hardware,
including evaluation and testing of BIOS version, BIOS configuration
and device drivers.
* Create and maintain desktop images, per standard, and define
refresh cycle to support inclusion of patches or other updates.
* Acknowledge the firm's priority to maintain current, updated
systems. Assist in the planning and execution of upgrade cycles for
the Windows OS, major core applications and other Enterprise
* Develop standards for user profile management. Evaluate, select
and deploy specialized tools as necessary to ensure consistent UX
across environments (***., desktop vs. Citrix) as well as backup and
preservation of user preferences.
* Evaluate desktop hardware and interaction with the Windows OS.
Assist in the selection of new hardware and management of desktop
hardware life cycle. Define standards for hardware support, including
evaluation of drivers, BIOS settings and firmware management.
* Maintain security of the desktop environment. Secure the end-user
desktop environment against the installation or execution of
unapproved applications, or the inappropriate storage of data, through
a combination of AppLocker rules, NTFS permissions, Windows Firewall
rules, Group Policy and other technologies.
* Participate in vulnerability management efforts of the firm
through the design and implementation of patch management solutions
for desktop systems. Assume ownership for maintaining a high-degree of
patch-level compliance and quickly remediating identified
* Assist in the development of application packaging standards.
Collaborate with Desktop Administrators or other packaging resources
to optimize UX-related settings and define standards for AppLocker,
Windows Firewall, menuing, Group Policy (and GP Preferences), user
* Define standards deployment processes and timing and coordinate
software rollouts with Desktop Administrator or others.
* Collaborate with Applications Engineers, system owners and other
stakeholders in the implementation or upgrading of key enterprise
systems, including those for document management, records management,
financial management, HRIS, etc.
* Implement leadership and delivery of administration as well as
project-based assignments that encompass system architecture,
proof-of-concept and deployment services.
* Oversee key projects impacting overall technology migrations as
well as future upgrades. Display proven project management and
* Strong team relationship skills and willingness to lead IS staff
through successful desktop migration and on-going administration.
* Establish and administer best practices in terms of imaging,
application packaging and distribution.
* Assume supervisory responsibility for administration of desktop
images, application packaging, deployment procedures, and similar
* Possess strong interest and inclination in understanding the
engineering of technologies at the desktop level with an eye toward
efficient integration of a variety of applications.
* Understand firm business requirements and defines and promotes
optimal system configuration to meet business needs. Demonstrates
ability to learn business processes and requirements of other
departments as needed to optimize system features and enhance user
* As with all ***. Engineering positions in the firm, the Desktop
Systems Engineer will possess the following skillset:
* Expert-level proficiency with key technologies to be supported,
including demonstrated willingness and ability to develop expertise in
new technologies as needed
* Demonstrated competence in detecting and eliminating technical
issues in complex systems, utilizing monitoring and other analysis
tools to ensure optimal system performance
* Investment in understanding technologies outside of those directly
supported by the Engineer, including demonstrated basic awareness of
key functionality of systems that interact with or depend upon the
systems directly managed by the Engineer
* Ability to participate in assessing business purpose of managed
systems and to recommend operational or efficiency-related
* Ability to act independently to meet goals and objectives
identified by senior management, including the ability to assist in
the creation of project plans and manage time effectively
* High-level involvement in providing optimal performance and
responsive support while working to ensure optimal performance and
reliability of systems while also providing mentoring and knowledge
transfer to other Engineers and Technical Support Specialists and
acknowledging key role in responding to alerts and assisting Technical
Support in analysis and resolution of issues
* Accepts responsibility for understanding firm Information Security
objectives and applying those objectives to ensure security of managed
* Bachelor's degree preferred
* Five years' minimum experience in desktop, networking and
infrastructure technologies, including all aspects of designing,
implementing and supporting systems at the engineering level
* Three years' minimum System Center Configuration Manager
* Three years' minimum desktop administration experience,
designing and implementing desktop management methodologies and
* Experience in application compatibility assessment and application
packaging using silent installation methods in environments supporting
more than 20 applications
* Experience with the following technologies: Group Policy/Group
Policy Preferences, Active Directory, MDT 2013, AppLocker, Windows
Firewall, NTFS permissions, Windows registry, BitLocker,
VBScript/HTA/PowerShell scripting, IIS Web Services, SQL, WMI and WQL,
DNS, DHCP, DFS, UE-V, EMET, Windows 7/Server 2008 R2, Windows
8.1/Server 2012 R2, Windows 10, Microsoft Office 2010/2013/2016,
Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge and Citrix
* Microsoft certifications are a plus
* Experience in the legal market a plus
* Effective communication skills, both written and oral; strong
interpersonal skills required to communicate with all other IS
members, members of the firm (users of systems), and clients; must
have customer service attitude and ability to work well with groups
* Superior understanding of the firm's goals and objectives, with
demonstrated ability to apply technology in solving business problems
* Strong organizational skills, capability to schedule and
coordinate multiple activities in results-oriented environment;
initiative and ability to enforce policies and procedures through
* Must subscribe to being highly available and responsive to
occasional after-hours issues, as the firm operates on a near 24/7
14 days ago
only 14 days until close
13 days ago
only 15 days until close
13 days ago
only 15 days until close