about 1 month ago
Whiting Corporation, a world leader in the manufacture of overhead cranes and transportation lifting equipment, is seeking a Crane Engineer.
We are seeking an Engineer with experience in designing gantry cranes, semi-gantries and overhead traveling cranes. Performs functions to analyze loads and determine stress on structural, mechanical, and piping systems for static, dynamic and thermal loadings using classical and computer assisted techniques. Activities include analysis of welds. Prepares reports for internal and external customers; summarizes results, describing methods used and scope of work under the direction of either the Director of Engineering or Crane Production Engineering supervisor. Supports project efforts by preparing sketches, layouts and drawings for use by other team members to implement design review conclusions as required.
Under general direction:
* Utilizing the latest engineering tools, supports the design of the equipment, analysis efforts, and requirements of a project.
* Creates written reports in both summary and detail as part of the analysis process defining the scope of work, methods employed and summarizing results for both internal and external customers. Reviews written reports and calculations performed by others for completeness and accuracy.
* Performs mathematical modeling of equipment systems in support of project design efforts. Evaluates the results of computer analysis and organizes for reporting purposes.
* Reads and interprets customer specifications, industry codes and specifications, and company established design procedures/methods. Provides guidance concerning requirements and interpretation to other team members as needed.
* Provides design sketches layouts, and drawings for use by other design team members to support the implementation of design review results to meet project requirements.
* Reports project status to management.
* Supports efforts to maintain and update engineering processes, standards computer programs dedicated to the design and analysis function and project related files.
* Supports customer service efforts as it relates to warranty issues, customer requests for information, and manufacturing requests for assistance.
* Regularly performs work on multiple projects simultaneously.
* Offers guidance and support for estimating efforts relating to the design analysis for a product or project for pre-sales efforts.
* Establishes the method of analysis to be used on an assigned project or design element.
* Reviews and checks work performed by other team members for completeness and accuracy.
* Supports the overall company performance goals.
Reports to: Supervisor of Crane Production Engineering.
Advises: Management as well as other team members by providing technical information, advise to external customers and assistance in interpreting industry codes, standards, and specifications.
Uses: Microsoft Office (including EXCEL and WORD), FORTRAN programs, Mathcad, Finite Element Analysis software (Simulation by Solidworks), calculator, Adobe Acrobat, company provided email system.
* College Degree (BSME, BSMET, BSSE, BSCE, BSAE) or higher required. Emphasis placed on structural engineering.
* 10+ years of experience in related heavy equipment industry preferred.
* Demonstrable ability to read and understand structural and machinery drawings, strong familiarity with welding design as well as having strong mathematical abilities and mechanical design aptitude. Perform structural and stress analysis of machine elements with limited supervision.
* Ability to read, understand and interpret industry codes and standards (AWS D1.1 and or D14.1, AISC ASD 9th edition)
* Occasional work in a manufacturing environment to review fabricated components and assemblies, take measurements, and gather data; use of PPE (personal protective equipment) as required to meet established safety requirements as Whiting and customer manufacturing sites.
* Familiarity with crane industry standards.
* Occasional travel (
7 days ago
only 21 days until close
7 days ago
only 21 days until close