about 1 month ago
HIRING RATE: $59,708.00 (Flat Rate -Annual)
ON-BOARD AFTER ONE YEAR: $65,678.00 - $72,246.00 (Annual)
The Office of Public Health Engineering (PHE), through technical monitoring, surveillance and enforcement action as necessary ensures that the drinking water supply, recreational water facilities and sanitary sewage conditions are in full compliance with Federal, State and City Health Code requirements to protect the health and safety for all the citizens of the City of New York.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
* Assist with monitoring, maintaining, troubleshooting, and improving data collection systems to ensure data quality and reliability.
* Possess working with digital information management and geographic information system (GIS) analysis.
* Support implementation of the New York City Drinking Water Surveillance Program.
* Conduct inspections of drinking water facilities in accordance with the Federal, State and City Health Code to ensure compliance.
* Prepare or assist in the production of scientific reports on field inspections and research as it related to drinking and recreational water quality.
* Assist and provide support as necessary in Office development, implementation and improvement initiatives
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. For Assignment Level I (only physical, biological and environmental sciences and public health) A master's degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health.
To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have:
1. A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or
2. A master's degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least a master's degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two years of experience described in "2" above. Two years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in "1" and "2" above.
Appointments to this position are subject to a minimum probationary period of one year.
The Bureau prefers candidates with a background in: Environmental Sciences, engineering plan and specification review; drinking and/or wastewater facility plan design; or general civil, or chemical engineering. Working knowledge of GIS its desired.
Apply online with a cover letter to
In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 272166.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
*Job ID:* 272166
*# of Positions:* 1
*Business Title:* City Research Scientist, Bureau of Environmental Sciences and Engineering
*Civil Service Title:* CITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST
*Job Category:* Policy, Research & Analysis
*Career Level:* Experienced (non-manager)
*Work Location:* 42-th Street
*Division/Work Unit:* Public Health Engineering
*Title Code No:*
*Proposed Salary Range:* $ 59,708.00 - $ 72,246.00 (Annual)
*POSTING DATE:* 2016/11/15
*POST UNTIL:* Until Filled ba260a336bfd4057b38c6b6e731e4b6e
14 days ago
only 14 days until close
14 days ago
only 14 days until close