about 1 month ago
Position Information Benefits Supplemental Questions
Arlington County, Virginia, is seeking an experienced manager to provide technical engineering and operational oversight and management of the Streets Maintenance and Sewer (sanitary and storm water) Maintenance section of the Department of Environmental Services (DES).
Specific duties include:
* Providing technical analysis of program compliance with engineering standards including those set forth by the Department of Transportation (DOT), County, and the Department of Environmental Quality, (DEQ) sanitary and storm water design standards;
* Monitoring new and evolving regulations which may affect the work unit;
* Developing long range plans for the maintenance and improvement of the County's street and sewer infrastructure in conjunction with the Engineering unit;
* Evaluating work processes through technical evaluations to improve efficiency;
* Coordinating budget administration and expenditures for various funds and projects under construction;
* Managing Trades Managers/Leaders, and other Trades positions (a total of about 74 subordinate full-time employees) including hiring, development, performance management, and employee relations issues;
* Serving as the designated Bureau lead on snow and weather related emergencies which includes the implementation of emergency operations and all related planning and reporting activities;
* Making technical engineering decisions regarding the scheduling of streets improvements;
* Providing professional engineering guidance on operational issues and special projects including evaluating the impacts of other major County projects and developments to the County's street network and sewer system;
* Overseeing staff responsible for responding to inquiries, service requests and complaints (GRAMS), and ensuring the GRAMS are completed;
* Coordinating operations with the other major programmatic areas within the Bureau;
* Collaborating with and benchmarking County operations against peers and colleagues in surrounding jurisdictions;
* Identifying and evaluating new technologies to enhance effectiveness in the work environment;
* Exercising leadership within the Bureau and modeling accountability, safety, and environmental stewardship; and
* Effectively interacting with residents, senior management, elected officials, and media outlets.
Successful candidates should have excellent oral and written communication skills in order to convey complex technical material, write reports, proposals, policies and procedures and to effectively manage employees. Thorough knowledge of civil engineering principles, County codes, standards and specifications are required as well as the ability to apply technology based solutions. Additionally, effective public speaking before County leaders, elected officials and the general public is essential.
Selection Criteria:Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related technical field and considerable experience in managing daily operations in a public works environment. Experience providing technical (engineering) and operational oversight in the areas of sewer, street and snow operations is essential. Also, must have direct supervisory experience of operations and emergency management.
Substitution: Any equivalent combination of education, training and qualifying experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
* Registration as a Professional Engineer;
* Extensive managerial experience supervising trades employees in a water/sewer/streets (utilities and public works) operations type of work environment;
* Experience managing snow and other emergency operations; and
* Communications/Public speaking experience.
Special Requirements:The applicant must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. If the applicant possesses a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Additional Information:Normal work hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (flexible), with some work hours outside of normal work schedule due to emergencies 24/7 operations.
This recruitment is open until the position is filled. Applications will be screened on a continuous basis. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
Maximum salary: $163,571.20. Starting salary will depend upon the qualifications and experience of the candidate selected. This position is in the Arlington County Government's Extended Management Accountability Program (XMAP2), in which Senior Executives are eligible for a negotiated salary/benefits package and are evaluated and compensated on the basis of a performance agreement linked to the County Management Plan, results achieved, and a multi-rater appraisal. XMAP is a flexible total rewards/compensation system directly linked to performance and the market.
For more information on Arlington's family friendly benefits, click here.
6 days ago
only 22 days until close