about 1 month ago
Performs routine and complex repairs and maintenance on all types of motor vehicles used in the postal fleet; troubleshoots and diagnoses more complex vehicle malfunctions using a variety of computerized test equipment; may provide assistance to lower level employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Diagnoses operating difficiculties on a variety of vehicles and performs operational checks on engines; its major supporting systems, parts, components, assemblies; including emissions systems, electrical, computer and electronic controlled components.
* Performs various computerized and electronic diagnostic tests using specialized equipment; interprets trouble codes and other information from electronic scanners and test analyzers; uses reference materials such as service manuals and wiring schematics to determine operational difficulties, driveability problems and evaluates performance efficiency.
* Conducts visual and auditory vehicle inspections, road calls and road tests before and after maintenance and repairs; annotates vehicle problems on work orders.
* Provides technical guidance and instructions to mechanics and technicians on more difficult repairs and in the use of specialized computer-aided diagnostic equipment.
* Performs maintenance and repairs resulting from normal preventive maintenance inspections.
* Prepares and updates vehicle records, maintains vehicle records; annotates labor time, parts and/or equipment and other pertinent data on work orders.
* Performs engine tune-ups; removes, replaces, adjusts, cleans parts, components, assemblies and accessories; uses a variety of specialized test equipment to adjust systems and components to prescribed operating tolerances.
* Troubleshoots malfunctioning vehicles resulting from road calls and identifies improperly functioning part(s) and repairs or replaces.
* Repairs and replaces major components including transmissions , differentials, brake systems, power assist units, steering and suspension assemblies.
* Performs other job related duties and responsibilities in support of primary duties.
* Follows all established safety practices and procedures; complies with all postal, local, state and federal environmental regulations and policies.
Applicants must successfully complete Postal Service Test 943, Test 944, and Test 941 to demonstrate their knowledge and ability to troubleshoot, diagnose, and make minor and major repairs to automotive systems.
At the time of appointment, applicants must have a valid driver's license from the state in which they live. Applicants must also demonstrate and maintain a safe driving record. Applicants selected under this qualification standard must successfully complete the required Vehicle Familiarization and Safe Operation training, including demonstration of the ability to safely drive a vehicle of the type used on the job.
13 days ago
only 15 days until close
12 days ago
only 16 days until close