The tractor mechanic is responsible for the inspection, service, and repair of the various types of ATS tractors by using company and industry standard methods and criteria to make sure the tractor is safe to be on the road.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform inspections on company tractors using Company, DOT, and OSHA guidelines to ensure that the tractors are operating safely.
- Complete DOT inspections on outgoing trucks to verify that all necessary repairs have been made.
- Performs repairs following company procedures within standard job times to get the drivers back on the road as soon as possible.
- Performs all necessary/scheduled preventative maintenance services.
- (i.e., alignment, oil and grease, tune-up, air filters, cooling system, nitrate, rods and mains, water filters)
- Diagnose and repairs electronic control engines.
- Train and be a resource to others on communication devices.
- Document common install procedures and troubleshooting techniques to help train other technicians.
- Act as subject matter expert and resource to other technicians, drivers, and managers.
- Work with the safety department to make sure all communications units are hooked up properly and provide the data necessary for electronic logging.
- Perform a series of diagnostic checks to confirm units are installed properly and feeding the data necessary to support e-log.
- Work safely and wear all required PPE.
- Ensure safety procedures are implemented and followed.
Education and Experience
- Technical knowledge in a maintenance-related field (i.e., automotive, heavy equipment, trailer repair) and demonstrated ability in trailer maintenance and repair (including cutting and welding)
- Usually gained through 1-2 years of vocational training and/or 1-3 years equivalent related experience.
- Must be able to operate all related power shop equipment, telephone, and CRT/Personal Computer.
- Must be DOT certified and forklift certified. Must be able to lift 100 pounds.
- Brake and ASE air conditioning certifications are preferred.
- Ability to perform electrical troubleshooting.
- Ability to read installation manuals and understand manufacturer training.
- Must have attention to detail.
- Must be able to meet productivity standard.
- Strong written and verbal communications, decision-making, problem-solving, and customer service skills are required.
- Must have read; be familiar with, and able to reference the current DOT Out of Service regulations.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Required to work in a shop environment with exposure to noise and fumes and occasionally outside in cold or hot weather environments.
Required to stand or walk for long periods of time.
Required to frequently lift and/or move parts or supplies that weigh up to 100 pounds.
Required to work occasional Saturdays.
Required to walk occasionally; to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls frequently; and to reach with hands and arms occasionally.
- Must be self-motivated, able to multi-task and work independently.
- Must be a team player, amenable to a variety of work projects.
- Must be analytical with the ability to apply data.
Must be proficient in responding to internal and external customer situations, responding to customer needs as required.
Must be able to both think creatively and provide creative contributions to projects.
Must be able to demonstrate a proactive commitment to ATS corporate values and the success of all staff.
Meets all company and department objectives and deadlines.
Follows all company and department policies and procedures.
Works within budget that is set for the department.
Of the over 3,500 individuals who make up the ATS family, only a select few of them don't sit behind the wheel. This is the team of experts that makes it all possible from behind the scenes. In the logistics of hauling across borders, through cities, and around paperwork. In the management of major projects all over North America and across the oceans. And in the day-to-day demands of a family-owned company moving forward at more than two million miles a month. We aren't all drivers, but we are all driven.
We thrive on the challenges, on the obstacles, and on the customer relationships that begin with "Well, I don't know if you can do this...". Because we can do it and always have.
ATS is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
We recognize and respect the amount of time you are about to invest by applying to this open position. If you complete this job application, you will be kept informed via email status updates (and text messages, if you opt in) throughout the evaluation process.
By continuing with this job application, you will be asked to answer job-specific questions. Please note that the questions contained in this job posting are our sole intellectual property.
Upon receipt of your responses, we will evaluate your submission. If selected for a personal interview, you will receive an email/text with scheduling instructions.
If you are interested in applying for employment with ATS and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources recruiting department via phone at 1-.